As a foreigner living in the Bay Area, one of the things that I like the most about the US is having multiple opportunities a year to dress up in costumes (or at least way more than in Spain): Halloween, Bay to Breakers (San Francisco), Comic-con, themed parties, holiday parties, Burning Man, etc. And any day is a good day for your kid to wear their dinosaur costume, why not. Proof of it is everyone here has a costume box (even we have a costume box now!).
Since we moved to San Francisco, I’ve managed to get my husband to dress up with me a few times, and even to pull out a couples costume (Princess Leia and Han Solo). But the real fun came when our daughter was born, a whole new world of possibilities opened in front of us: family costumes!
In 2016, when our little one turned one, we went to Comic-Con San Diego and we dressed up as Bulma, Trunks and Vegeta (Dragon Ball Z):
We even managed to get featured on the SYFY instagram account! We saw really cool and professional costumes – not like ours, that were pretty amateur – at Comic-con, but I was surprised that there weren’t any more families rocking their costumes together out there.
Looking for ideas for family costumes? Here’re some of my favorites four our little family of 3:
- Dragon Ball. Bulma, Trunks, and Vegeta. See above. Depending on your kid’s age, you can pick different versions of the characters. Or you could add Bulla to the family if it’s four of you instead of three 🙂
- Monsters S.A. Mike, Sully, and Boo. This can be a very elaborated costume, true, but if you want something easy, you can always get a couple of t-shirts or sweatshirts (for Mike and Sully) and dress up your kid in pink with a couple of adorable piggy tails. Voilà. Below are a couple of ideas for the t-shirts / sweatshirts.
- Harry Potter. Harry Potter, Hermione, and Ron. Or Weasleay’s. Or Malfoy’s. The possibilities are endless. I am a big fan of Harry Potter, so this one is bound to happen sooner or later. In addition, it was my husband’s idea (who I converted to a HP fan), so he can’t really say no 😛
- Dr. Who. You’ve probably seen many Doctors and TARDIS (check out this TARDIS dress) at your different cosplay events, but what about the family version including a Dalek? I can’t get over its cuteness.
- Gru and the Minions. For families of three, you could go with the three adorable girls:Margo, Edith, and Agnes. Or you can choose to be a family of minions with Stuart, Kevin, and Bob. For families of four and more, you can add Gru and Lucy, and as many minions as you want! Minions costumes are probably the easiest, you just need a a blue / denim jumpsuit and a yellow t-shirt, plus making your own DYI goggles. These are not so difficult to make, look at ours!
Do you have fun family costume ideas? Please share in the comments!