We had a lot of fun making this rainbow rice sensory bin and both of my kids have been wanting to play with every day after we made it. Throw in a bunch of Easter eggs and you have an Easter activity.
- Preparation time: 15-20 min (plus 30-60 min to let it dry before playing)
- Age range: 2 and up (younger ones may try to eat it instead of playing with it)
- Degree of parent involvement during the activity: low
- Entertainment time: My kids (2 and 4) will play with this rainbow rice sensory bin between 30 and 90 minutes at a time.
- Level of success: high
- 6 cups of rice
- Plastic storage bin (or any box without holes)
- Food coloring
- White vinegar
- An empty container with lid (to make the mix). We used an empty yogurt container
- Kitchen paper
- Measuring cups (or small cups or spoons to play with)
- Easter eggs (optional)
Step 1. Add 1 cup of white rice in the container to make the mix
Step 2. Add 1 tsp of white vinegar
Step 3. Add as much food coloring as you wish
Step 4. Close and shake well. Open and be surprised
Step 5. Lay the rice flat in a piece of kitchen paper. Let dry during at least 30 minutes or 1 hour
Repeat steps 1-5 for each color of the rainbow or for each color you want to make.
Step 6. Mix dry rice in the box, add measuring cups and toys, and play!
This is a super fun activity and totally worth your time preparing it for independent play at home.